Can you tell us a bit about Naked Animals? Where are you from and how did you start, as a band?
– The band originally started out in Dingle, County Kerry in Ireland. The same small town where Walking On Cars emerged from. 3 of us all went off to music colleges around the country and ended up coming back and starting the band a few years later. We then met up with our current singer and drummer in Cork city and have been working together for nearly a decade now.
If I were to use the phrase for fans of, who would you compare yourselves to?
– We usually compare ourselves to the likes of Talking Heads, The Police and Republic of Loose.
You recently released your new single One More Time. What does this song mean to you, as a band?
– It kind of feels like the start of the next chapter, finally releasing new material after such a long wait. We’ve put a lot of work into the track and it really means a lot to us to get such a good response from people. It’s also a bit of a shift in style for us. Usually the songs have a more rocky/funky flavour and socio/political themes whereas this is a much smoother, melancholic pop song.
Is this a hint at more new music on the way?
– Absolutely! This is just one song of our upcoming E.P Business As Usual which is out in April and we’ve much more in the pipeline as well.
Who produced this? Have you worked with them before? How was it working with them?
– It was recorded and produced by Cian Sweeney aka 1000 Beasts who’s an absolute phenomenal producer. Other than the drums the entire E.P was recording in his small sitting room studio. We’ve worked with Cian for years now and have a real connection and flow when recording music with him.
I hear you are playing a few live shows soon. What can we expect from these shows?
– After nearly 2 years of no gigs expect a wild, unleashed exuberance. We plan on putting on a stage show people won’t be forgetting any time soon!
How do you guys prepare for love shows? Do you have any pre-show rituals?
– Usually we’re like giddy children before shows start. We try to make each other laugh and hype each other up for the gig.
What’s next for naked animals?
– After our E.P is released we plan on recording a full album. We nearly have 2 albums worth written during the lockdowns. We’ve developed a sound we’re very happy with and think audiences will enjoy and want to bring it to as many people in as many places as possible.
If you had to give some advice to those looking to make music, what would you say?
– I think the last 2 years were very telling. Even though performing was out the window we still wanted to write songs we liked and rehearsed for the sheer enjoyment of it. I feel anyone wanting to make music needs to put that first. It should be a purpose, you’re doing it for yourself, not others.
Where can we find out more about you?
– We’re on all the usual platforms. Spotify, Youtube etc. and all info/dates about us can be found on our website https://www.nakedanimalsmusic.com/